Steps to Health
Try Simple Things to Relieve the Discomfort
There are some simple things that can relieve vulvar discomfort.
- If the discomfort with sexual intercourse is mild try applying a freezing gel (xylocaine 2%) to the vestibule 5 minutes prior to intercourse.
- Always apply a water based sexual lubricant before and as needed during intercourse.
- After intercourse, sit on the toilet and pour cool water over the vulva. Some women find applying a cold ice pack or gel pack to the vulva for 5 minutes helps.
- Do not scratch the vulvar skin. If the itch is bothersome try rinsing. Try applying an ice pack or a moisturizer (eg. Clinaderm) or barrier cream (eg. Vaseline ointment).
- If it hurts when urinating, try rinsing during or after urination. If you cannot urinate because it is too painful, sit in a bath and then try urinating – the bath water will dilute the acidic urine and make it more comfortable.